Friday, November 26, 2010

Entry 8: The American Civil War in eyes of Sherman

One of the most important things you do before starting something it is when you're asking yourself:" Won't I regret about it in the future?” May be I’m not a good philosopher, but I’m absolutely sure that most of you would think in a same way before taking part in a war. Since my childhood I was surrounded by people who made a great influence on my destiny: my father ,Charles Robert Sherman, who was a successful lawyer, my brother John who served as a U.S senator and Cabinet secretary . So I decided to continue a family tradition and entered the academy for cadets. As I had written later in my memoirs: “I’ve never been a good and obeying student…” There I met my future military companions George H. Thomas and William Rosecrans. They were really nice friends and partners. After graduating from the academy in 1840 I decided to continue my military abilities and worked as a 2-nd lieutenant. After that there happened many things: I was promoted to a captain in 1848, got married to Eleanor Boyle ("Ellen") Ewing in 1850, a wonderful and intelligent woman, and worked as a manager and the superintendent till 1859. However, I think that the turning point in my life happened in 1861 when the lives of many people were changed. The war was something like that no one was expecting it to last so long. Those meetings to President Lincoln, discussions and arguing to other generals about the war strategy were very hectic and nervous period. General Grant, my best friend and vise estratega, supported my ideas about the attacking Confederates from back side. The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864 was the most memorable moments o all during this horrible war time. My foe, General Joseph E. Johnston , had an army of 100,000 people but it couldn’t save him from the maneuvers that I made in help of Gen. Mc.Pherson, Gen. Logan and Thomas. At the end of the war in 1865 we all felt like the our life was changed for better. Everyone had equal rights, no one needed to be depended on his master. We did our best and won….
Taking part in this activity was a real important thing. Now I understand everything about this period of American history. My character Sherman was a great man: lawyer, businessman and a general. His life and victories deserve more than just a mention in the book of world history. I think he is a great person that will live in hearts of all people for a long time.

3 comments:

  1. I respect your point of view, Alejandra. However, I believe Sherman was cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you miss Shahnoza for your point of view. I have a question, is this essay normal? Did I follow the main idea you wanted me to show in this essay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Alejandra,
    It's exactly what I wanted you to write! Great job! However, if you submit it to Writing class as an essay, the teacher would argue on structure.

    Ms.Shakhnoza

    ReplyDelete